Monday, June 13, 2011

Sometimes you just have days like this...

After a year off due to wedding planning, house building and other fun activities I was lucky enough to return to the Annual GiGi Clinic hosted by Horse and Hound Pony Club.  I think this makes year twelve or so and it’s always a fabulous time.  Even when my rides don’t go very smoothly.
Gigi is known for her “carrying” voice and using the course to teach the lessons.  From the moment she steps outside in the morning to her final step out of the arena, she’s teaching.  You can learn almost as much by jumping crewing and listening in as you can riding.  She’s a huge asset to the sport and a gem of a human to boot.  But enough about Gigi, let’s talk about that crazy photo!
Embracing the spirit of a Horse Dad, Don Hovis spent the entire Gigi clinic in the arena taking photos of every horse and rider.  WAY TO GO!!!!  It’s thanks to his dedication that we get gems like the photo above, plus many, many more.  Did I mention it was near 100° each day, but I digress... 
Nutmeg and I obviously didn’t have the best day.  Ironically, she is almost always a steady-eddy.  The horse I can depend on to have a peaceful, if not always foot perfect, trip around.  Well, for the Gigi Clinic she decided to switch things up a bit and put on a pair of sparkly shoes I didn’t even know she owned.  It took a while to adjust to the new monster under me, but things did progress and we finished the lesson much better than we started which is always the ultimate goal.
Admiral, normally the trouble-maker of the two, was surprisingly good.  Sure we had a few disagreements about going over the jumps and some “balance please” reminders, but I think he was trying to make me feel better after Nutmeg’s less than awe inspiring performance.   He’s just that kind of guy.  Making you feel better when the chips are down.     
Some people find it hard to believe that horses have individual personalities, that they have good days and bad days.  They’re really just like us.  The trick is to learn from every moment and appreciate every ride.  I’ll admit I headed home from the Gigi Clinic a little bummed.  I went seeking the euphoria of a day packed with learning.  A day basking in the sunshine with friends and horses.  A day to show off what a wonderful horse Nutmeg is and a day to learn a few tricks to help make Admiral more ride-able. 
I headed home only half-full, thinking I hadn’t really learned that much.  Turns out, I just needed to look beyond the obvious.  It wasn’t a day to learn some new revolutionary way to ride.  After all, the basics of riding haven’t changed in hundreds of years.  It was a day to learn a little more about the horses I’m currently riding.  Nutmeg isn’t always going to be perfect and Admiral isn’t always the problem child.  Preconceived notions prevented me from enjoying the day for what it was, fun in the sun with two terrific animals and my friends.  It’s time I take a Fresh Perspective.  It's time to take my own advice and ride the horse that comes out of the pasture, be it a Celestial Steed or a Chestnut Mare, and be happy to be riding at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment