Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Opportunity Found

“Indecision is a virus that can run through an army anddestroy its will to win or even to survive.”
- Wendell Mayes

I won’t lie. Fridayafternoon I was feeling pretty bummed. Sure, the sun was shining, it wasa gorgeous seventy something afternoon and I was off work. A weekend of horsing around loomed in frontof me, but I was near tears. Dear Nutmegwas not sound. It wasn’t her hips and Icouldn’t figure out why, but she was definitely “off” somewhere in that bigbody of hers.

What to do? I had awhole group of friends planning on traveling to Longview to school on Sunday andI really needed to take Nutmeg so I could check and see where we stood. Well, I guess we were standing on three legs,so “Plan B.”
I’m the Master of Plan B, Plan C, Plan XY&Z. Horses have a habit of training that intotheir humans, but I didn’t want Plan B. I wanted Plan A and I wanted it now. In other words, I was stomping my foot and having a right grand pityparty. I’d like to say it was shortlived, that I found solace in the fact that I was privileged enough to have aPlan B, but I didn’t. I tossed andturned and slept like a colicy baby worrying about Nutmeg’s mysterious newhitch.

Saturday was an equally glorious day. Thankfully my horse plans already involvedborrowing a mount for the Hunter Pace. Nothing like a two and a half hour stroll in the sunshine through beautifulcountry to cheer one. Good company andgood friends also help. I received someunexpected kind words of encouragement, yet I was still bummed about my prospectsfor Sunday. A part of me couldn’t giveup hope that Nutmeg would be sound as a dollar and I could return to Plan A.
Admiral says, "Take me with you!"
She made no miraculous recovery although I checked Saturdaynight and even Sunday morning before I loaded up the trailer. Not until Admiral was caught and thoroughly enjoyinghis warm bath did I commit to taking him instead. What prompted this dragging of my feet? Normally I’m thrilled to take the boy out for a romp. Sure, he’s out of shape and cross country isnot his favorite, but he still basks in the attention no matter what he’s beingasked to do. I couldn’t put my finger onmy reluctance until some serious soul searching prompted the thought of ParadiseLost. Riding Nutmeg cross country hasbecome my paradise and suddenly it was not only threatened, but lostcompletely, or so my brain wanted me to believe.

I used the drive to the city for some self-talk. There will be other cross country schoolings. There will be other events. There will be other seasons and as much as Imay not like thinking about it, there are other horses. It’s not like we were missing our only shotat Rolex. I was facing a day of sunshinewith my dear Admiral and many good friends. I might even get to ride the super pony (I did and she was super-muchthanks to her mom). Life really was goodand the sun really was going to shine whether I liked it or not.
All photos by Super Pony's Mom.
It did shine. It was awonderful day. Admiral was a goodboy. I tried not to task his brain orbody too much. We visited with greatfriends and learned a thing or two.
The Super Pony

InParadise Lost, John Milton wrote, “The mind is its own place, and in itself canmake a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven…” Too true. So this week I’m tryingreally hard to find my own Fresh Perspective. Instead of Paradise Lost, Nutmeg taking some time off is really an OpportunityFound. An opportunity to put Admiralback to work. An opportunity to breakVaughn to drive (finally). Anopportunity to clean house, wash blankets, build fence, volunteer! So here’s to loosing paradise, at least forthe moment. Perhaps it will put all oflife in a bit better perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment