Monday, May 6, 2013

Pride Before the Fall?

I’m grinning from ear to ear.  I just got off the phone with Admiral’s first mommy.  It’s probably been seven years since I spoke with her and she’s seen Admiral, but through some hard work of a dear family friend, we found her phone number.

You never know with race horse breeders whether they really care about their animals or not, but I always got the impression that this lady truly did.  Deep in my heart I knew she’d appreciate hearing how Admiral was doing.  Still as the beep on her answering machine sounded, the butterflies in my stomach started doing loop-de-loops.  Would she be happy for Admiral?  Would she approve of him now?  Would she even remember us and return our call?  And most of all, why do I care?
"I Dare you to not LOVE me!"
About an hour later my caller-id flashed her name and the butterflies started swarming.  How can I gallop cross-country with steel cool nerves, yet a silly little telephone call makes my hands sweat?  Needless to say she remembered us.  She was delighted to hear that Admiral was eventing.  I had to explain that Admiral has had a couple of tough years and he isn’t competing at the level he’s capable of, but she was still just thrilled.  Then came the icing on the cake.

When I originally left the message, my nerves got the best of me and I told her Admiral would be in Kansas City showing last weekend.  When she questioned me on it and discovered she could quite possibly come visit him at the show this weekend, I think it made both our days.  She was thrilled and subsequently, so am I.
I wish we were better prepared.  I wish I could show her what he’s really capable of.  But I know that it’s going to be enough for her to see him happy, healthy, and smothered in love.  Admiral’s always in his element at a show.  He thinks all the adoring fans are there just for him and this lady will be.  She’s coming just to see him.  I hope he feels have as special as I do right now.

Pondering the future.
Lately I’ve been challenged by several people to consider why I do what I do.  What drives me?  What is it that I’m looking for?   I hate to say it, but I’m afraid its pride.  The hours spent scrubbing caked on clay off the ponies every night.  I love it, not just for the peace and quiet, but for the pride I get from their sleek appearance.  Why do I happily pour money down their throats?  For the pride I get from knowing that they are being cared for in the best possible way.  Why do I meticulously clean my tack with a tooth pick or wipe the butt bars of the trailer down with baby wipes?  It’s pride.  Problem is, “Pride Goeth Before the Fall.”  I sure hope not. 

I needed a Fresh Perspective on Pride.  Is it always a bad thing?  I turned to the handy-dandy thesaurus.  Turns out Pride can go one of three ways.  First, arrogance as in conceit, smugness, egotism, vanity and superiority.    I think that’s the pride we think of most often and that’s the pride I’m trying to avoid.  There are times when I’m tempted to play the comparison game, but horses are so good at stomping all over that kind of pride.  It’s nice (really, it is) that they routinely remind me of my place. 

Then there is self-respect pride as in dignity and honor.  Self-respect is important.  It’s also important to respect others.  Again, I think horses are really good at teaching respect.  You just have to respect a thousand plus pound animal.  Plus spend some time gazing into a horse’s eye.  It’s a pool of dignity and honor.  Some of that is sure to rub off on anyone who is aware of it.
Finally, there is the self-satisfaction pride.  Pleasure, delight, gratification, enjoyment, happiness.  Yep, that’s the pride I find in caring for my horses and that’s what I want to find in all my work.  I guess pride really was the right word.  When I hung up the phone, I was beaming with pride and she hasn’t even seen him yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment